Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2013

How Fear Affects US Mental Health Care

The issue that I see is that Psychology is used to incarcerate people who have not committed a crime worthy of incarceration.  The fields of Politics, Religion, and Medicine among others, should not be involved in in policing activity.  I have personal experience in this.  I was trying to join a church and was gently and politely denied by a Church in Frederick.  So leaving there I was drawn to a specific Church in Middletown.  I was walking and began to get panicked calls from my ex-wife, asking where I was going.  On this journey there was an amazing spiritual energy at play.  You could see people change as they were engaged.

I stopped to speak to two police officers and they took me to  the local hospital. I was put into the lockup section of the ER.  I was there for 3 or 4 days then transferred to to the behavioral unit for 10 days, that is the legal limit prior to having a judge hear the4 case.  So basically they can lock you up for two weeks with nothing.   Being locked up for no just reason is an unthinkable scenario.  I decided to try and run to the courthouse.  I was in a gown, so at one point the doors opened and I bolted.  About half a dozen nurses came after me.  The look in their eyes was determination.  Parkinson's got the best of me, I fell twice and they tore my gown from me.  was taken naked and forced onto a gurney.  I was taken back inside and given a shot of something.

But when I ran the alarm was triggered (code red - means an escape).  I was there for another 12 or 13 days.  I noticed that the code red happened at least once a day.  Why does a hospital have people seeking to escape multiple times per day?  The Behavioral Unit also was completely locked away from the world.  Nobody could call without knowing a PIN.

First of all this type of arrangement having doctors or nurses being able to incarcerate without a legal proceeding is wrong.  Second it creates an adversarial relationship with what should be a caregiver.  This creates trust issues, and it should be obvious how this hurts the effectiveness of their entire operation.  Third they can force you to take medication.  If you refuse they bring in several security guards and hold the person down and give them a shot.

There was a Haitian man who came  in the day I did.  He was given forced shots every night.   He just wanted to go home.  It was horrifying.  We had a group meeting where the nurses defended their actions, but given I did not know the medical situation, it was difficult to do more than complain.

I feel that the state of this is a direct response to the fear generated from 9/11.  Our fear allowed us to accept every agency in the government to have a secret police force, as part of the JTTF.  This mentality has like the yeast in leavened bread from the parable has spread all the way to the doctors and nurses.


No comments:

Post a Comment